Agatha Christie's novels are enduringly popular so there should be no raised eyebrows when I say she's the most requested author in my shop. In all, she wrote 66 detective novels, 14 short story collections and six romantic novels* and was still being published in her eighties. Surprisingly her first book, 'The Mysterious Affair at Styles' was rejected by publishers until five years after she first submitted it. Just goes to show perserverance is everything, because she's currently only outsold by Shakespeare and the Bible. Just letting that sink in.
I thought I'd rustle up some tasty Agatha Christie treats; here's some Christie-flavoured gifts perfect for her biggest fans...
1) A charming bracelet with dinky, silvery, whodunnit-related charms that fastens with a lobster clasp. Handmade by Denise from Literary Allusions. It's a real steal at £13.05 and comes gift wrapped with the Agatha Christie book quote of your choice.
2) An arresting infographic poster that charts the title, publication date, murder method/s and murderer (HUGE spoiler alert!) of each Agatha Christie detective novel in order of publication. Beautifully designed by Kate from Bibliotography it's available in different sizes and prices start from £32 for a high quality print.
3) Carry your love of the Queen of Crime with this swag bag (ok, tote bag) on your shoulder and fill it with books! Look no further than Bagsy me first! This roomy, lined bag is handmade from 'sclusive soft canvas print for £30.
4) A literary pyjama set to die for! Find yours at Courtyard Interiors. It features colourful illustrations by Karen Mabon depicting Agatha Christie's most popular novels and £160 will buy you snazzy pj's you'll want to keep on all day. Zoom call-appropriate? I dare you :)
5) A handsome hardback book you'll want to get your sticky fingers on. In Murder Isn't Easy Carla Valentine brings Christie's redoubtable scientific know-how - from ballistics to fingerprint analysis - to life. £16.99 in Waterstones.
6) A set of 2016 Agatha Christie postage stamps. Gloriously sinister illustrations in black and white with a dash of colour. Mini, lickable works of art! Framed and on the wall in the littlest room? Just the job. Available on eBay for less than a tenner...
7) Climbing rose 'Agatha Christie' has clusters of mid-pink large flowers and dark green glossy foliage. Shade tolerant, ideal for a north wall and available from Peter Beales for £21.25. I'll bet Shirley next door doesn't have Agatha Christie in her garden!
8) A hand painted ceramic pot perfect for blooms of 'Agatha Christie' (see above). Celebrate your choice of Agatha Christie book on each side. Which books would you pick? £49 from Bagsy me first!
I'm off to start reading an Agatha Christie!
All images posted with kind permission of the owners.
* Under the pen name Mary Westmacott